I Believe in Tradition

Anna - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: family, legacy

I believe in tradition, a break from stressful school and a time to relax with my family and friends. My family traditions include vacations to places like Utah or Michigan. Going to these places every year gives my life stability and childhood memories that I will hold on to forever.

Some of our most memorable vacations are those in South Haven, Michigan. We go up to Michigan every summer in the end of August for about two weeks. It’s a time to relax and spend quality time with my family. We stay at my grandparents house right by Lake Michigan. We usually visit a couple times per summer and since it is my grandparents house, my aunt and uncle also visit with their families. I can’t remember a summer when we didn’t go up there. I recall one summer when we went up to the lake house and my mom and I immediately went down to the beach to look for beach glass. Beach glass is glass that is washed up on the shore after it has been tumbling around and it is very smooth on the outside. My mom found a huge piece of red beach glass, which is extremely rare and is probably the best piece of glass we will ever find. If there was not a summer break, then the fun family memories like these we spent on vacation would be nonexistent. Coming every summer to a place that I know and love makes everything else seem less important.

Another tradition my family has is going to Utah every Spring Break. We go to a ski resort called Park City. My family and I love to ski and we have been skiing for a long time. We go to Utah every year with our neighbors, who also love to ski. It is really fun spend time with our neighbors and do something together we all love. I am so glad we have this time to spend to see them and get to know each other even better. I remember the first time I went on a black diamond hill in Utah, which is a very hard run. I remember following my neighbors around the curve and the only way down was a black diamond. When I finally got down, I felt so surprised that I could go down that hard hill. So that day, I went down almost all of the black diamonds there were at Park City. These kinds of times are memories I will remember forever.

If there was no tradition, life for me would not be the same. I would not have the quality time spent on these vacations with my family and friends. I enjoy having vacations to look forward to, especially when you know how much fun that vacation can be. These times spent every year created so many memories and gives my life consistency.