Hard Work Pays Off

Emily - LaGrange Park, Illinois

Through out Jr. High I was always so nervous about coming to high school. I didn’t know what to expect. How my classes were going to be, how well my grades were going to be, homework, my social life, etc.

Well, I knew high school is where it really counts. So that meant, I not only needed to do well, but I wanted to do well. I also wanted to become as much of a better person as I could. I wanted to follow in my sister’s footsteps in being an excellent student and a great friend. I knew I could do it. It may be difficult but I just needed to work my hardest. And that is what I believe, that hard work really pays off.

Just last year, when the start of second semester had gotten a little bit harder, I thought I’d never get through the end of the year. My mom would always tell me, “Work hard and just try your best.” That is what got me going. I knew that if I actually did put forth my best effort in working hard, I would hopefully end up with a positive outcome. Coming home from cheerleading practice at 5:30 every night and then doing the three to four hours worth of homework I had was a pain but I worked hard and managed my time wisely and eventually I got it done.

It was finally the end of freshman year and I ended up getting straight A’s. My hard work had really paid off, and that is exactly what I wanted.

Now, I will use my older sister for an example. In high school my sister was the kind of person that never really got in to sports or participated in activities, but that did not bother her. Most people say that the people that get involved seem to get better grades, which may be true but for my sister it wasn’t. The time people spent practicing a sport, Elise used that time for homework and studying. She never wasted her time. This led her in a great direction. In junior year and senior year of high school she was nominated in to the National Honors Society and earned herself a scholarship at Indiana University. This had then led her to be more outgoing and being a better friend and person in general.

So far, I think I am on my way to following my sister. And if I want to continue doing so I will have to work just as hard and I will know that it will be worth it in the end.