The Benefits of Laughter

Kyle - Western Springs, Illinois

No matter your race, religion, economic status, the house you live in, or even the country you grew up in, every one has the best medicine available, laughter. I believe laughter to be the best medicine. No other drug or medication can change one’s mood or spirit from bad to good so quickly. A failed math exam can make someone’s day unbearable, and confronting one’s parents can make the day unimaginable. These thoughts and the constant worrying, can add twenty pounds to someone’s posture. However, with humor, attention is diverted from their pertinent doom and that weight is lifted, even if only for a minute.

Take for example, my grandmother, who was lying in a hospital after undergoing a triple bypass surgery, not doing well at all. I had just shaved my head for swimming and when I went to visit her, her laughter was instantaneous, and names such as cue ball were soon to follow. Though she didn’t quite make it, I believe it was her ever present sense of laughter that kept her with us for a few more days. And at the funeral, laughter was the dominant sound in the background, not weeping or hushed voices. Family members were reminiscing about the times they spent with her, and stories about her growing up, which is how I know she would want to be remembered. This humor was not only beneficial for my grandma, but for my whole family as well. It eased the pain everyone was sharing and with that a sense of calm was felt throughout the room.

Now, look at the people you enjoy being around. I am willing to bet my sense of humor that they are not sullen and remorse, but upbeat and funny, or at least they try to be. People in general enjoy being surrounded by laughter. I am not one to preach about karma and such, but laughter affects everyone, not just those laughing. When a joke is told and someone laughs, you can’t help yourself but to smile along, even if the jokes on you. Even if the joke is not so funny, or its been said before, just the effort of trying to remedy the situation makes me smile.

So, I believe in laughter, as the best medicine and for all its other benefits, for all ailments whether they be physical, mental, emotional, or even spiritual.