Cassandra - Countryside, Illinois

I believe in falling. As ridiculous as that sounds, it is what I choose to believe. Falling is something that I have done many times in my life. I suppose you can call me clumsy or even a klutz. However, out of all the falls that I have endured, I still got up, dusted myself off, and continued on. Occasionally, I have gotten bruises or scrapes. Some were temporary, while some have stayed with me to this day. The permanent ones reminded me of the times I fell, but carried on strong.

Just as there are physical falls, there are also emotional falls. Sometimes, these are harder to heal. The scars are invisible so people don’t know how you feel but they are there just the same. Life has pushed me down several times, but I am still here and still living my life. One really bad fall was the day my grandma died. I would consider that a major event that occurred. I was very close to her, and when she was diagnosed with cancer I completely fell apart. There were many years of chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation treatments. Four years later, she was admitted into the hospital. By the time I was pulled out of school and brought to the hospital she became unconscious. A few hours later, I was told she would stay unconscious and that she would not make it. Later that night, I felt useless as I sat in a chair waiting for my grandma to die.

The night my grandma passed away was one of the hardest falls I have ever taken, metaphorically speaking. All the years I spent with her, and all the good times we had can not be taken away. Time is a good healer for both physical and emotional falls. As time goes on I remember the good times and the pain of her death is not as strong. Every time I fall and get up again it makes me stronger and able to survive the next one.

In conclusion, much like when I first learned how to ride a bike, I fell many times. I still got up and tried again to overcome the difficulties. Therefore, I kept on trying, becoming stronger and stronger as I progressed. Without falling repeatedly, I would have never learned how to deal and carry on.