Clint - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that hard work and perseverance pays off in ways that luck just can’t. Much greater results can be achieved from both physical and mental work than from just having fun all of the time.

I have run cross-country since sixth grade. In the beginning, I thought that I could just do the workouts at a comfortable pace in practice. Little did I know that this would never get results. I had to push myself a little, and that is when I realized that my times were starting to improve.

High school cross-country was a major change. The workouts got harder, and if you missed even one practice without an excuse, you would be kicked off the team. Proper attendance is also important in not just a sport, but also in the working world. Just being there allows someone to get more work done, and it also lets whoever is your boss or coach or whoever is watching know that they are serious about what they do.

I have learned that people can’t just sit around and wait for something good to happen to them. They have to go out and put work in so that the good thing does happen to you. Very few things happen in life out of pure luck.

Anyone can apply being on a sports team to a real life job. One must be there (and on time), and actually put effort into it. Like in cross-country, the times don’t improve if the effort isn’t there, and you won’t get any better by just sitting around.

This season, with the exception of one meet, I have set personal records for my three-mile times. Although they are not exactly all-state times, I still view cross-country partly as a race against myself. At my favorite course, the Palatine invitational, I set a personal record by forty seconds. I had never expected this because I felt sick, but once I heard from my two-mile split that I was going faster than I normally do, I picked up the pace and was motivated to run through the pain.

I have not been a good example of this in the past. I have always saved giant projects and essays for the last minute and have ended up losing my entire weekend, if I had did it little by little, then it wouldn’t have seemed as big of a project after all.

Again, even if it seems like you are doing the most unimportant and inconsequential job in the entire universe, do it right. You will make so many more people happy as well as giving yourself satisfaction.