Kelsey - USA

I believe in never giving up on something and giving your all.

I have played volleyball my whole entire life. I started in fourth grade and I currently play today. I love volleyball and I would like to play my whole life. I personally cannot see myself quitting. In my earlier days, I was very tall for my age. My position was an outside hitter front row, and a defensive player back row. As the years went on, everyone else grew and it felt like I was shrinking.

To this day I continue to play a front row hitter and a back row defender, but being only 5 feet 3 inches is a huge disadvantage for playing front row. I need to have a good vertical jump in order to get blocks and kills. Starting in seventh grade up until now, coaches have encouraged me as much as possible to keep on doing what I love, play front row, and they’ve helped me train to do that. I have had some of the hardest times in my life getting my position taken by another girl because she is taller than me and can put up a bigger block, but I have never considered quitting. It is simply too hard for me to quit so fighting back for my spot and trying that much harder is my solution.

The same event has happened to me, but in a different situation. I was huge for my size in seventh grade, which was perfect for basketball season. Eighth grade rolled around and everybody else had grown, but not me. I still held talent in playing basketball, but I could no longer be a post because I kept getting roughed up by bigger girls. In the few games I tried to play post, which was my favorite position, I ended up getting 2 concussions, 4 bloody noses, and uncountable bruises. My coach finally sat me down and said although I was good at my position; it was time I started to play point guard because being small was such a disadvantage. It took a lot of time to get used to being a point guard. I had to focus more on dribbling and shooting from the outside rather than my defense. The only thing I did was give it my all and I tried my hardest in practice and games because I would never give it up. Staying positive throughout the season helped me maintain a positive attitude and helped encourage my teammates.

When I am older and have my own children, I will be by their side their whole life telling them they can do anything they set their mind to. That statement goes for everyone. It does not matter your size, weight, or ability in a situation. Anything you fight for and want to do, you can accomplish by never giving up and trying your hardest. Failure is never an option.