Christian - Burr Ridge Ill, Illinois

I believe Technology has…

I believe that the overuse of technology has made people lazy. People who overuse technology become lazy, stressed, and impatient. Today there is technology all around me and it has contributed to laziness in my life.

Technology is almost addicting in the sense that it has kept me from being outside more often. It surrounds me everyday, and is unavoidable. Instead of going out and playing the sport, I rely on a video game to get the same effect. Instead of traveling all the way to the library to do research, I have access to all the information I need just from the internet itself. I don’t even to open a map to find directions anymore. You would think all this convenience would make our lives stress free. However, technology puts added stress on those who depend on it.

Since we rely on technology with basically everything we do, if it breaks down or we are without it, it causes great stress. With technology, we are used to high speed and high tech devices. It’s like once it breaks down, we forget how to do things the old fashion way, like my parents did when they were my age. It is stressful to me when my friends do not answer their phones, because I am used to immediate contact with cell phones. Or when my computer is really slow the night before a huge paper for IPC is due. What if my IPC paper was due and I waited till the last minute to submit it to turnitin.com and my internet didn’t work? This would be incredibly worrying to me and would make me very irritated.

Technology has made me very impatient because I am so used to internet being very fast and my cell phone always having signal. When these things go wrong such as a slow internet connection or my cell phone losing signal, it makes me very frustrated and impatient. Look back some years and imagine people who had to wait up to a week to send and receive a letter. Credit card approvals weren’t always so instant. According to my mom, cashiers would have to make a phone call to get an approval code for credit card purchases. Today, all you need to do is swipe and go. We have a great dependency on technology.

A word that ties all this together would be dependency. I believe that the overuse of technology has made people lazy. I am dependent on having popcorn ready in a minute and fifty seconds, I always want an immediate answer when I call someone on the phone. Technology has become a huge part of my life and the choices I make. For all the advantages that technology provides, it has made me too dependent on it and made others and me lazy.