Fun with Feces

Rachael - Carterville, Missouri

I’m a wife, a mother and a college student, so sometimes life can be a little overwhelming. A typical day for me involves a backpack full of homework, a house that forever needs cleaning, three children who need me constantly, and a husband who just wants dinner! My life feels like a maze of obstacles, and sometimes, I just want to give up. But if these bumps in the road have taught me anything, it’s that sometimes our greatest obstacles can be life’s greatest blessings.

I married my first love at eighteen, and we flirted with the idea of children. When the time was right, we decided to start our family, but for years we had no luck. When I finally did become pregnant we were ecstatic, but within a few weeks I lost the baby. After many more miscarriages, we came to the realization that we might not ever have children of our own.

Not wanting to give up on children just yet, I talked my husband into becoming a foster parent. I had this romantic idea of taking in these sweet, little children and being the perfect mommy.

Soon, a case worker showed up at our door step with a four-year-old girl and a fifteen-month-old boy. The first week was wonderful: the children seemed to be adjusting, and I went to sleep at night with a big smile on my face. I would later learn that this is called the honeymoon period.

The second week I awoke to find my couch and chair completely soaked with urine. As I scrubbed and sobbed, I considered giving up and sending them back, but I just couldn’t. The girl would continue to urinate on anything and everything, but that did not compare to her brother. He preferred to work with feces.

There is nothing like waking up in the morning and knowing by the smell that, once again, you have to clean up feces. It would be smeared every where: all over the walls, the toys, the bed, the dresser, the carpet, and even himself.

I did not give up as a foster parent, but I needed a new goal to keep me going. I decided to go to college and pursue my dream to become a teacher. At the time, I saw being a foster parent as an obstacle in my life, but the income I made for caring for these

children made it possible for me to attend college.

While attending college, I was finally able to give birth to two, healthy baby girls! The little boy who loved to play with his feces is now our son, and though he still has problems, every year he gets better and I consider him a blessing!

After all I have been through I can honestly say that life is hard and not giving up is even harder. But I can also tell you that sometimes, life’s greatest obstacles can turn out to be life’s greatest blessings. This I believe.