Donald - LaGrange Park, Illinois

I believe in classic rock; those moving melodies, words of wisdom, and satanic soul.

I believe in classic rock because it always has a song for me, regardless of my current feelings or what’s going on in my life. When I’m thinking about a girl that sits behind me in one of my classes, there’s always “Let’s Spend the Night Together” by the Rolling Stones. When I’m doing homework? How about a little background music, maybe something by Bowie or some Bob Seger? When I’m feeling nostalgic, nothing soothes more than a hefty dose of Billy Joel’s “Piano Man.” And of course, when I’m feeling down any ballad by the Beatles or The Rolling Stones allows me some good wallow time.

Many talk about this particular brand of rock, classic rock, as if it was just a bunch of oldies; as if it was past its time. But personally, I see it as timeless. When will the emotion inspired by The Rolling Stones “Dead Flowers” ever ring less true? Who but the most cold hearted can’t feel the raw pain of John Lennon in “Mother?” For me, the truth of the matter is that the emotion felt through these songs is enough to keep them relevant forever.

Some call this music “soft,” saying that it’s an insult to heavier kinds of rock. As I listen to lyrics such as those of The Rolling Stones “Let it Bleed,” (“Yeah, we all need someone we can cream on / and if you want to, well you can cream on me”) I know that classic rock is anything but “soft.” Yes, classic rock has its share of ballads, but who can call songs that bring forth such emotion “soft.” I believe that it is much more meaningful to listen to a song with emotion behind it and meaning in its lyrics than it is to listen to a rap song about money going “Straight to my piggy bank, straight to my piggy bank,” or to listen to the ever increasingly (unfortunately) popular scream-o.

So, I believe in classic rock; because of the loud lyrics and the magnificent meanings behind them. I believe in classic rock because it is a voice, a set of ideas, which can be applied to any situation and yet will always hold relevance to my life as well.