Tony - La Grange, Illinois

I believe in music. Music to me is something that one can not only listen to but also understand and relate to. Music is an art that is usually crafted rather than just thrown together. The songs that are well organized and deeply thought-out usually become the best of songs, those are the songs that sink deep into your soul and will never let go. Songs though, are much more than just the instruments that you hear or the lyrics you sing with, they have their own lives. A song is an artists’ masterpiece. It is a blend of themselves, beautiful melodies and touching, poetic lyrics. That is what makes me believe in music, the heart and soul that goes into it.

Music has played a big role in my life. I grew up listening to a variety of music, from Bruce Springsteen to blink -182 all the way to Miles Davis and Mozart. I was always listening to some sort of music. As I grew a little older, I discovered that music was something that has two parts, noises and words. It was not so much the words in music that I was attracted to, as much as it was the instruments and the bizarre noises that were the basis of the song. It was a long time until I even understood why there were lyrics to a song. Not until 7th grade did I really listened to music. I started understanding the lyrics of songs and understood the emotion of them. It was then when I began playing guitar and piano to make my own music.

Now being even older, I find music to be a very powerful and inspiring thing. It has gotten me through the toughest times of my life. Music to me is a medicine because it makes me realize that someone else has gone through what I am going through and that I am not alone. This is why I find music to be so powerful because it has a life of it’s own that has the power to heal people emotionally. Besides loving music as a medicine, I love it because it makes me relaxed and enjoy my life. Music is like an enhancer it makes everything seem a little less complicated. I really appreciate and love music. It will always be apart of me, and I will listen to it until I die.