Life Is About Overcoming Obstacles

Caryn - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that life is full of those sticky situations when you feel like just giving up. However when you conquer those situations, you get this enormous feeling that is just so great and no one can take that away.

Ever since I can remember, I have been told by my parents, teachers, and coaches to never give up, always study, and never stop practicing. It has taken me way to long to understand why they repeatedly say things like this. Practicing this advice makes it much harder for me to not jump when I come to a hurdle in life

During a softball game when I was 11, which was the age when sports were becoming really competitive for me, I got the ball at short stop and threw it to the first baseman. However the throw was too high and the first baseman was unable to catch I the ball. The person who got on base because of my mistake ended up scoring and that was the winning run. After the game, my dad put me into tears by cursing and screaming at me. When I got home I told my mom that I no longer wanted to play softball anymore. My mom told me to wait until the season was over and then I could make my decision. By the end of the season my love for the game and my ability to play it had grown so much. However my dad was constantly making it miserable, telling me that I should find a different sport to play.

I decided not to listen to my dad, and I tried out for one more season of softball. That one more season turned into five seasons and I hope that number continues to increase. Not listening to my dad was one of the best decisions I have made. To this day, my dad apologizes for not supporting me to do something that I love.

Life is filled with obstacles, both big and small. If at every obstacle that everyone came across they quit, our world would be nothing like it is today. There would be not advancements in technology, economic, political, or social. These obstacles that I encounter make me stronger when I fail and make the outcome much more rewarding when I finally do succeed. I believe life is about overcoming these obstacles that we encounter everyday.