My Spiritual Guide

Peter - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that every person on Earth has a spiritual guide of sorts, and that there is some type of heavenly force, like God, watching over us.

My belief and faith in God was formed through constant encouragement by my parents. As far back as I remember, I have gone to church every Sunday. In sickness or pain, rain or shine, I was always there to hear the priest preach the holy words of Christ. My devoted dad brought this obligation upon me, and I thank him for doing so. Church is now a natural part of my life, and I feel truly connected spiritually whenever I am there.

But as a child I still thought church was very dull like so many other people do. I couldn’t grasp the true meaning of God and how I must have such strong faith in something that I have never physically proved myself. I posed this question to my mom and she told me a story that changed the way I viewed God forever.

My mom explained how my grandpa, her dad, was very sick from cancer when she was only 15. During my grandpa’s sickness, life was very hard on my mom. She prayed every day asking God to make her dad better. One day she was sitting in her living room eating a bowl of ice cream, and wondering if her dad would ever recover, when a small, but noticeable, rush went through her body. She looked at the ashes in the fireplace and saw them move ever so slightly. She sat speechless knowing that the charge of feeling was of her dad’s soul saying goodbye, one last time, and going up to heaven. A minute later, the fateful phone call came, and she found out her father had passed away.

This could only mean that some spirit must be out there guiding me through life. Every day since I’ve heard that story, I believe my grandpa, a man I’ve never met, who died 20 years before I was even born, is watching over me.

I have learned that my grandpa and God are always there for me in times of both happiness and trouble. Whenever I am down, I have the ability to pray to God and really know that things will get better from doing that. I wear my cross that I received for Confirmation every day and I honestly believe that there is a holy presence spiritually protecting me from any harm that could befall me. Whether it’s God, a saint, my grandpa, or even a guardian angel I believe that I will always have a spiritual guide leading me through the trials of my life.