Katie - willow Springs, Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe in guardian angels, in someone that can protect you and light your way through life.

I was in second grade, when I found out that I had a hole in my heart that was supposed to close up before I was born; my parents did not tell me about this until a week before my surgery. The surgery very serious and they did not want to scare me. The surgery was also for the best: later I was told that if I hadn’t gone through with it or waited later I could have died at an early age, such as 40. I am very lucky to have gotten through the surgery and recuperated rapidly. My mom still tells me today that each and every person has a guardian angel by there side to watch over them.

Another instance that leads me to believe that I have someone special watching over me is my parents decision to change doctors. My old doctor knew that I had a heart murmur and told us that it was no big deal and that there was no need to operate. Later we changed doctors; my mom had the new doctor check out my murmur and sure enough she referred us to cardiologist, Dr. Quinones for examination right away. As it turned out the cardiologist informed my parents that my heart would need to be operated on immediately. Most babies with my problem have their hearts operated on much younger than I did. He asked why I had waited so long for the operation and my mom told Dr. Quinones: our doctor before him had said it was not much of an issue. I feel that my mom’s sudden decision to change doctors was influenced by a guardian angel realizing that if I stayed at Good Samaritan Hospital; I was not in the right hands and I wouldn’t have gotten the surgery. I don’t even want to think what would have happened had I not gotten the surgery.

Dr. Michel Ilbawi was my surgeon during the actual open-heart surgery. I am very grateful for that because he was one of the best in the country. I trusted him and so did my parents. I prayed day and night and I’m sure family did too. I believe that there was someone watching out for me up there making sure nothing bad could happen to me. I had a guardian angel by my side picking out the most knowledgeable, skilled surgeons in the world. My parents and I, and my guardian angel knew that it was not time for me to go anywhere. My life would be totally different than I know it today. I wouldn’t be able to do so many things. I thank Doctor Ilbawi immensely and attend the patient picnic he hosts every year.