Amanda - Countryside, Illinois

I believe in shutting down the horse slaughterhouses throughout the United States. Why do we choose to torture such beautiful creatures that only love us and seek our approval? I have been riding at my stable for just over two years now and have seen horses of all build, size, and condition. Two horses that I encountered about a year ago really instilled in me a hatred for the slaughterhouses.

One was a pony we started to call Chance who we rescued from the slaughterhouse. He is just tall enough for a small child to ride on. He was so emaciated that you could see all the bones in his body, yet he did not blame people for his suffering he would lick your hand and rub up against you like a puppy. One of his famous characteristics at the stable is to stick his tongue out whenever someone comes near. Chance is now on the road to recovery and is constantly seeking love and attention.

The other horse is a racing Thoroughbred named Freckle. He is really tall at about 20 hands and is a red color. He had won almost all of his starts at the track but because he was over worked his front right leg started to bow so his owners sent him to the slaughterhouse. They felt that he was of no use to them anymore so why should they waste their money and time on him. Now Freckle is completely healed and is a great horse with a high spirit. He loves to go out on trail and run around the pasture.

Both of these animals hold no grudges but imagine what could have happened. They would have been butchered for dog food and glue had my stable not stepped in to save their lives. Some horses do not encounter as lucky of a fate. Many of the horses are sent to slaughter and are taken from the wild natural habitat, ran their hearts out in every race, or come from a loving family who can no longer afford them. Yet we punish them with such cruel behavior for things that are not in their control. We are taking advantage of creatures who have no voice. It is up to us to speak for those who cannot and shut down the slaughterhouses. Life is such a beautiful and precious thing; we need to stop cutting it short for such beautiful creatures.