Work Towards Your Goals

Joseph - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: sports

I have been playing basketball since I was in preschool. Even though there were times when it was difficult, I have devoted most of my life to basketball.

In grade school, all my friends would play basketball. Sometimes there were as many as twenty kids playing basketball. This meant that touching the ball was rare, unless you could rebound or if you were the best player on the team. Sometimes, I would get the ball just once, take a shot, and then miss it. I would seldom get a chance to redeem myself, so I learned to be patient and to take advantage of opportunities as they occurred. As frequent repetition was necessary to improve, I would practice shooting at home until I could make the first shot.

Junior high basketball was the first time I had experienced tryouts. I did not know what to expect, and I admit I was nervous. But practice paid off as I was one of the best at lay-ups, shooting, and free-throws.

As my days at McClure passed, I wondered how long I wanted to continue playing basketball. I thought how cool it would be to make the LT basketball team, and even to receive a scholarship for college basketball. The summer after I graduated McClure, I began a training program. I played pick-up games with my friends. I did anything I could think of to make me prepared for freshman basketball.

Once high school started, time became an issue. I had to make sacrifices like devoting time to weight training in order to keep me in shape for November. I learned to better manage my time so I could complete my homework and practice my basketball skills. Even though I was often tired, I was successful in making the freshman basketball team.

I believe that working at a goal is as important as accomplishing it. A person’s willingness and determination towards a goal holds their outcome. You might not always achieve your goals, but you will always learn something as you strive towards them. I would have not have made it this far without all my years playing basketball.