Michelle - Brooklyn Park, Minnesota

I believe that money should be used responsibly. Money gives people power, the power to use it wisely or foolishly. Many people are obsessed with getting as much of it as possible while others can’t seem to get their hands on it. In my own experience dealing with money, I’ve saved up my money so I could go to college and one day buy a car, but I ended up losing sight of the importance of what that money was really for and spent it foolishly on things I barely even used at all. I really regretted spending my money foolishly. To me money is an important aspect in my life but I feel that it should be used towards the basic needs for survival, education and to help out others who are in need.

Throughout my life my parents have struggled with money problems. Now that I’m older the money problems have gotten better yet my parents still want to spend their money on fun things such as four-wheelers, new vehicles, and new tools. Another issue is how my parents spend so much money on cigarettes yet complain that they’re broke. It’s difficult trying to talk them into quitting and trying to save their money better.

Seeing how my family and friends spend their money and seeing how people abuse it makes me realize that I need to save extra money and not buy random “fun” things. When I was young I thought it would be so awesome to have all the money in the world and buy all the things I ever wanted but as I’m getting older I’m seeing that a lot of people who do have a lot of money aren’t really that happy. Money can end up ruining lives yet it can also save lives. I guess it all depends on how you decide to use it.