Kevin - Hanover Township, Pennsylvania
Themes: hope

Earlier this week, my mother returned from shopping and brought home a lone jar of pickles. I love pickles, but I had already eaten, so there was no reason to open the jar. I wrapped my fingers around the lukewarm glass jar and placed it in the fridge. Later that day, my stomach emitted a thunderous growl. OK, maybe that was a bit over-dramatic. Basically, I was hungry. I went to the fridge to secure the now frosty-cold jar of pickles.

I lovingly fondled the jar as I attempted to open it, but, “AH!!!” the lid would not come off. I tried again, only to be rejected a second time. I tried repeatedly but the lid was immovable. Out of anger, I threw the jar back into the fridge.

The next day, again the growls! Still hungry, I returned to the fridge and the belligerent jar of pickles. I tried again…still no luck. I ran the jar under hot water… no! I used a knife to loosen the seal….it worked! The seal popped. I tried the lid again….nooooo! It wouldn’t budge. I didn’t know what to do. In frustration, I put my elbows on the table. The jar fell to the floor. One would think that the jar would have smashed, but it landed bottom side down and the lid popped off. Wow, that was strange.

My high school opened its doors this year to new and former students for another year. School is not always the happiest thought to most students; more so to those who are entering their senior year, since the door to the future is just a knob-turn away. This is a scary and exciting time, but I am just a junior, so I still have a chance to prepare for the time that I will be in front of that doorway of “things to come and make something of myself”.

“On through the portal pass, with no regrets and live your life. Finally! It is your life, no standing in line, no waiting…it’s now or never.

Doors! You know the old saying, “When one door closes, another opens.” It is one of those phrases that one uses to comfort someone who is having problems and the moment calls for it. Basically, the phrase means that there is hope; and of course, what is hope but another form of faith? On both sides of realism or optimism, we find hope.

The door and what lies within is a metaphor for another chance. Having another chance means that there is a door open for you. That door is full of hope. Look on the bright side, not everything in this world is horrible. People need to realize that. I believe that miracles happen; after all, I finally got my pickle!