Julia - Charlotte, North Carolina

I believe in southern hospitality. So often does it go unappreciated. The south is one of the few regions of the United States that treats strangers as if they’re close relatives. I find this to be such an endearing quality of southern states. I was raised in a southern home and will always carry those values I learned with me. I was taught to be friendly and cordial because of my southern roots and I feel they truly make me who I am.

I work in a restaurant so I deal with all kinds of people and they can get pretty disgruntle when dealing with their food. However one experience made me realize that my continuously peppy attitude actually has an affect on people. It was a Sunday morning, our busiest shift, when an older couple who are regulars at the restaurant came in and put their name on the wait list. Later when I called their name and took them to their table the woman sat down and said, “you are always so nice to us. It just makes our day. We really appreciate it!” It was so refreshing to have some gratitude instead of the sassy attitude I get on a regular basis. Not only did it make me feel good to hear this, but it also made me realize that just by being friendly and hospitable you can have a positive affect on someone. I believe in southern hospitality.