A Passion of Choice

Jenna - Rocklin, California

All my life I have ridden horses, and fell in love when I first stepped into a stirrup. However, horseback ridding wasn’t my first passion of choice. Since I was five I did competitive gymnastics. Gymnastics was my whole world, and all I did until I was twelve years old. I immediately gave up this sport when I started taking horseback ridding more seriously. I first started in taking lessons for a whole year until I was ready to have a horse of my own. As I child I never thought horseback ridding could take me anywhere such as gymnastics could of have. It was always just a fun hobby that I shared with my mom and friends, but now I look at horseback ridding as my ticket to college.

For the past few years I compete in this thing called rodeo. Rodeo has given me several open doors to a new life agenda. I now have the opportunity to compete on a college rodeo team and travel the country. Several friends of mine laugh when they hear I want to pursue rodeo in college. They assume that rodeo isn’t a sport nor has no competitive drive. Ever since I was a kid my peers have told me that rodeo isn’t something I can follow. Hearing this from kids and adults only makes me try and practice harder. The bruised knees, bloody rope burns, scraped arms and bucks off I gotten will never stop me from making it to the top.

I believe that a passion you have for something that is so strong should never be ignored. Rodeo has given me the opportunity to pursue a career as a professional barrel racer. This event I compete in shows everyone that this is where I belong. The crowd can see it every time I race. Barrel racing is the one true love that God gave to me. It was sincerely meant to be for me to climb onto a 1,200 pound animal and run as fast as this horse will go. It’s a thrill I get every time I step into the area. Although this sport comes with a lot a fun, t also comes with a ton of work. I must practice everyday working on the barrel pattern to get that perfect run. It’s a lot of slow work at home, but when its race time…….ITS RACE TIME!

Nothing in this world is more exiting when the announcer calls your name in front of hundreds of people in the stands. The music is cranked up once I start my run and the weird thing is I can never hear it. I am in such deep concentration that the only thing I hear is my and the horse communicating as one. We are a team and when one makes a mistake we both fall apart. Having a special bond with your horse is crucial. You must be “one with the horse” to understand them, and I by far have past that corny saying. My horse is my team mate, and if I don’t respect her she won’t respect me. It’s mostly a love or hate relationship.

So you must be wondering what I believe in. I believe that you can have a strong passion for anything and prove to anyone that this is where you belong. I believe in standing up for something you love, and won’t let anyone tell you it’s not important. They say it’s not a real passion to have, but it’s only real when you spend all your life working up to this such as me. I proved to several people that rodeo will take somewhere and it gave me a full ride scholarship to Feather River. I truly believe in my passion for rodeo.