John - Western Springs, Illinois

I believe that God truly works in split-seconds.

Towards the end of this summer coming into the school year I was riding my bike home with a friend late at night after going to another friend’s house. We were talking when riding, not paying the utmost attention that I now realize the situation of riding in the dark truly deserves. We reached Wolf Road on the side of McClure Junior High away from downtown Western Springs. This is a very inconvenient place to cross because the road we were on is not a through street so if you are too lazy (as we were) to go the quarter of a block to an intersection you have to shoot for one of the driveways on the other side of Wolf. I was cold and tired so I was impatient to cross; I did not even look both ways. I tried to cross and the closest lane was empty, but I barely made it across the second lane before a car almost hit me. Only until I made it across did I fully realize how i almost died. I am sure that the car was going over the speed limit, but all the same it was an idiotic move on my part. This is the closest to death I have ever been. I still tremble when I think about it.

Later that night I could not sleep since I was still a little bit shaken up. I lay in bed replaying it over and over again in my head until I made somewhat of a realization. If I had gone half a second later I would surely have died. The split-second decision to cross risked my life but surely saved it. If I had gone half of a second earlier I would not be writing about this. I would have shrugged off this event like the time I had almost got hit on my way to school (that one was not my fault). If this had been the outcome maybe later I would have paid for it. Maybe another time when faced with a decision like I had I might have decided to forgo caution. Maybe that time I would not have been so lucky. I am Catholic and believe that there is an all powerful divine force controlling our whole existences called God. I now believe that God did not want me to die that night. For me to decide to start pedaling at that exact moment, for there to be no malfunction with my bike is beyond luck. I am not trying to say that God has some divine purpose for me; I am just trying to say he did not want me in an early grave. I believe that God works his miracles in split-seconds.