Lauren - Western Springs, Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe in family. I believe that people should not take advantage of something or someone that is there for you no matter what happens. My family is my crutch and my backbone, and without them I would not have been able to get through a lot of the obstacles and hardships that have been thrown at me all these years.

Without your family’s support and love you have nothing to live for. My freshmen year of high school was a very hard year for me. I discovered that my parents were going through a divorce. I had always believed myself to be “Daddy’s Little Girl”, and to hear what he had to say was crushing and disconcerting. Of course I was devastated, and I didn’t really know how to respond. Crying became kind of a regular thing, and I wanted to shut myself out from the world. However, if I were to cry my mom never left my side and tried to console me in any way she could. No matter how sad I was I knew that my mom and brother would be there for me.

I truly believed that this was the worse thing that could happen to me, but it turned out that there was more. Less than a month later, my cat that we had had for ten years got very sick. We took him to the vet to discover that he had kidney failure, and that very night we had to put him to sleep. I thought well great this has to be the icing on the cake, and its going downhill from here. It turned out that that so wasn’t the case. I won’t lie; it was very difficult to recover from two losses as big as they were, but my mom and brother never left my side. They were always there for me no matter what happened.

The point of this story is that family is always there for you through thick and thin. Without my family I probably wouldn’t have been able to make it through my losses. Although I lost a lot of love I gained so much more. We respected our relationship so much more, and we have learned not to take each other for granted. Of course my life will never be the same again, but there are much worse things that could happen in life, and I have decided to take the higher road. My family is my belief, and they will always believe in me!