Andrew - rocklin, California

I Believe

I believe in losing yourself. During the summer I was backpacking off the coast of Olympic National Park in Washington and I simply lost myself in the moment. I was surrounded by acquaintances that I could converse with but for some reason as we were preparing our breakfast by a fire that we had made out of the local driftwood, we remained silent. After we ate our breakfast I turned my back to the fire and started to roll a cigarette but I could not help but stare at the sight before me. It was foggy all around and to the back of me was lush forest as far as the eye could see and to the front was the amazing ocean that emitted a misty breeze. Sitting there with a partial cigarette resting in my hand, I simply started gazing off into the ocean that bordered the horizon. I did this for a good sum of thirty minutes. I am not sure what I was thinking about at the time and there is a good chance that I was pondering about nothing; nevertheless, whatever it was it gave great peace and tranquility. After I came out of the trance that the ocean had cast on me, I turned to my friend and sarcastically said “life is tough”.

I believe that anyone can lose themselves in anything. I love the outdoors because I feel the most comfortable when I am earthbound, so it came to me as no surprise when I sat starring into nature for a long period of time and received great satisfaction. But on the contrary I believe that you don’t need to be in the open air to lose yourself but in fact you can lose yourself while at a stop sign. I guess what I am trying to say that it is not situational and that it all depends on what you make out of any circumstances you are in. I believe that the society we live in projects an image that a person needs many materialistic objects and other complexities to make life happy. The world is constantly moving at a rate that we cannot keep up with. We need to slow down enjoy the simple parts of life. I guess you can compare me to the infamous Henry David Thoreau in the way I find happiness through simplicity. As Thoreau said “Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each”. I know if I live as Thoreau stated I will always be happy and happiness can’t be measured to any dollar sign or three hundred dollar pair of pants,but be attained through simplicity. This I believe.