A Man Who Risked

Helana - Tucson, Arizona

I believe that life should be lived fully. I believe that everyone should take risks in their life no matter the consequences. Someone once said “ To love is to risk not being loved, to hope is to risk pain, to try is to risk failure but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing” – Anonymous.

My father was a great man and a risk taker, who lived his life fully. My Father had a risky hobby. He liked to race cars. He raced at Manzanita Speedway and participated in demolition derbies. He was diagnosed with cancer when he was 42. I was only a year old when he found out. My father knew that death could come at any moment, and he spent each moment doing what he loved, restoring cars. Each day he would get up, put on his steel-toed boots, grab his blue and red mechanic jacket, light up a cigarette, and walk about thirty feet to his shop. He worked to support his family, even when he was diagnosed with cancer.

He knew that each time he stepped out the door to go to work and do what he loved, he was risking a few more days on this earth. If he had rested and never worked all those days, he would have lived an extra year but he took the risk to do what he knew would support us and made him happy at the same time. My father taught me that my life was to short to risk nothing and to always take the risks put in front of me.

I once was offered a chance to go on a mission trip to Vilnius, Lithuania and build a playground for children who couldn’t afford one. The trip was during school and I could have potentially failed my sophomore year of high school. After thinking back to what risks my father took before he died, I decided to go. It was the most amazing experience of my life and the most enlightening. I met so many people from different churches all over the United States and citizens from Lithuania. After coming back from the mission trip, I felt completely satisfied with work I had done for those children and I was so happy I took the risk.

Too many people waste their time worrying about anything and everything. If you just take the time to appreciate and live life you’ll find that day to day activities become easier to do and less stressful to deal with. Life gives you struggles and those struggles are meant to be lessons for us to use and turn into an example of how we as people should live. We are born for a reason and we may never know what that reason is, but we do know that we can make an impact on this world if only we choose to take the risks put in front of us.