Annie - Kettering, Ohio

I believe life is too short and precious, this I believe. Two weeks ago I lost a best friend. He was someone I knew for a very long time and he always knew how to light up a room with his contagious smile. When we are born, from day one our elders tell us to make wise decisions and to never take life for granted. However, in our adolescent age and as we grow older, we think we are invincible and that nothing bad can happen to us. Chase lost his life early because he made one split second decision, a second too soon. I never realized how short life truly was until Chase passed away.

As I walked through the line at his wake, I observed how many peoples lives that he had touched in a short twenty two years. His death has now become a lesson to not only me but also to his peers. Chase endured the repercussions of what one mistake can lead to but we can learn from his death to teach us to live each day likes it’s our last and to make smart decisions with any given situation presented. On the day of my funeral my mother had said, “There is no point in living after the loss of a child.” But I then said, “There is a point. You live for your children and guide them in their lives so that they recognize there is meaning to life and that life is too short to be anything but happy.”

Chased passed away and he will never be forgotten. We grieve, cry and wonder “why did this have to happen to him?” But then we move on and live life, love others and inspire others. Chase wasn’t alive for too long but if any of his friends took a look at how his life affected all of them, in return would they be able to say that at their own funerals that their life touched the lives of many others like his life did?