Tyler - Beaverton, Oregon

Throughout all my life I have found my self doing everything for my own personal benefit. Every action no matter how insignificant, has been in some way for personal gain. This is why I believe greed is a good and healthy part of life.

When I was young, I used to think greed was bad. I was taught that greedy people were gluttonous and didn’t care about any one else. I have found this to be untrue. Not only that but I have also found my life to be a perfect example of selfishness. All my actions for personal gain.

Since I was 5 years old, I’ve played baseball. I remember getting upset if someone wasn’t trying hard, or if people were goofing around. I would call them selfish. I would get VERY upset when people would not listen to the coach or listen to reason. This, even without noticing, was within it self, greedy. Just playing baseball was something I wanted to do. It made me happy to do something fun. To complain that it was not going perfectly, that was greedy. If it ran smoother, it would have only made me happier, and that would be the pursuit of excessive happiness. My want for having fun was put above theirs. Their fun was goofing off with their friends. Although for good reason, I was being greedy.

I remember even little things like going to school would end up being greedy. Even when I was little, going to school was to hang out with my friends. In elementary school, we would all play kick ball or soccer or basketball. I would always try to be 1st captain. Of course we all wanted to be first captain, but why did I want to be first captain? Because it made me happy to know that I was good enough. I was trying to put my self above everybody else. That was greedy. There could have been other people who would have better fit the position, but in my mind, I wanted it to be me. This made me work harder and harder to obtain this position. Working harder made me happy because I knew it would help me towards my goal. The obtaining of my goal above everyone else made me happy even if I didn’t deserve it. It was the stride towards the goal which was healthy, even though it was greedy.

My greed has kept me happy and alive through life. Because I am selfish, I keep the things I need to survive, and do the things I love to do. In life it is impossible to be completely selfless. Although some greed may be that of a different nature, without greed we would never progress in life. It has been said that everything happens for a reason, that there is a reason behind every action we make. That action is the greed that keeps us happy, and thus a natural and healthy part of life.