Danping Liu - Chongqing, China
Themes: hope, setbacks

My name is Jo, a Chinese girl, also a senior student now studying law in Chongqing Province of China. Since this early September have experienced an unforgettable and special period of my life, when I have got the greatest blow beaten on me during my 22 years, that is, my name was crossed off the candidate list for the excellent students to be directly admitted to higher education without sitting for the entrance examination.

Since my first year in college, I study hard, tried my best to get as high marks in annual final exams as possible. A myriad of my spare time was spent on books related to my major. I devoted large qualities of energy to my thesis, writing it by my own, unlike some of my classmates who copy one directly from the Internet and then get it submitted by changing certain words.

After those efforts, I ranked three among all the 551 students of my college, and my thesis got A. Extremely exited and proud, I submitted my application, only to be told that I was disqualified because of my ever absence from one selective class examination.

When informed of the result, I felt myself collapsed and my mind was totally blank. During days followed, I kept blaming myself for my absence from the exam, lamenting this and regretting that, desperate and totally had no mood in doing anything. The ever bright and beautiful world turned into grey and gloomy. My symbolic smile disappeared; life looked meaningless; and all I felt was bitterness of failure, hopelessness and regret.

All my friends came to my help. They companied me, as well as comforted and encouraged me. They told me there was still hope ahead and I should gather myself up. Indeed , I have a long way to go, with lots of unexpected opportunities coming up.

Among them, one friend’s marks are like the sudden flash of insight that left me a changed person. She said every body’ life was full of failures; the genuine success does not depend on what kind of unlucky thing has happened to you, but depends on your reaction on it.

After her leaving, I cannot help thinking of her words. There are two choices in front of me, keeping regretful and desperate or stopping hashing over old mistakes. Obviously, the latter was the remedy.

Once again, my symbolic smile came back. I totally have gotten myself out of the past tension, no tears, no regret, and even no sigh. I take a positive and optimistic attitude towards my failures in life, living in my passion and enthusiasm every day. Now, I’m working hard for my entrance examination of graduate degree.

No matter what happens to you, you should not let your smile go. A positive and opimistic reacion and attitude really will make the whole thing totally different. Well, the world is really fabulous.