Michael - Granite Bay, California

I believe that when you are truly happy, you don’t have to look further than the people around you. I also believe that happiness is contagious.

One day I remember rather well, I was overwhelmed with homework from all my classes and feeling like I was falling behind. After chemistry, when school was over, I went to the band room where all my fellow marching band friends hang out and after a few introductions, and high fives from my best friends, I was having a good day again and had forgotten about my worries and stress from school. That is where I feel most comfortable and like I truly belong.

I believe that the people that you are with are the greatest reason for how you feel. Honestly, great friends that you can have fun with doing just about anything are hard to find, and once you’ve found them you should hold on tight. In marching band, we do more work than most people think. After 30 seconds of marching and playing an instrument, you can already be working up a sweat, and that’s just what I do for fun. I, along with my fellow band members, have to do all sorts of jobs like cleaning instruments, throwing leaking bags of garbage in a dumpster on the other side of campus and even searching the entire campus for trash at 1 a.m. after we’ve hosted a competition; while doing this, I’ve even had the chance to pick up a diaper out of a puddle, but through it all I still seem to have fun doing whatever job that I had to do.

I believe that the people you are with can make all the difference. From a fun-filled family barbeque, to a birthday party, everyone has plenty of memories that still bring back a few smiles and even a laugh or two. All you need is one person to have a good time at a party and before you know it, everyone will be dancing, singing, playing games, and even just sitting around telling a few jokes. Most importantly, that one person could be you.

I believe that even when you are having a bad day, being happy to make others happy will make you happy because, well, happiness grows like a sunflower and its seeds. All it takes is for one person to plant one seed and that one seed can sprout a hundred more seeds and each of those can sprout a hundred more and so on. In the end, how many beautiful flowers can come from just one small seed?

To be happy, I simply make myself happy. I am happy, which makes other people happy, which makes me happy along with plenty of others. When I’m happy, I’m with people that I love being around and their happiness is contagious. Happiness is not hard to come by and to find some, just look around and take all that you can.