katie - Loomis, California

I believe good friends are like stars, you may not always see them but you always know they are there. I believe friendships are a key way in finding happiness. To me I believe a best friend is someone that you can tell everything to no matter how deep of a secret it is, and to know that they have your back no matter what it is; one that you share a lot in common with and have fun with whatever you do.

I know for me that sometimes I can’t tell my family everything so I go to my best friends for advice and someone to lean on. Friends play a huge role in my life especially through this past year in high school, when I went through a lot with my family and my sister going away to college. I know what its like to lose a best friend; my sister was my role model, best friend, and the person I told everything. I guess I could say I was proud to call her my best friend. When she moved away we didn’t talk everyday, and it was hard coming home and seeing her room empty. When she comes home to visit its like she never left but every time she leaves, I can’t help but to shed tears. My friend Carolyn and I met when she moved from southern California her freshmen year. We have always been very close, and been through a lot with our families. Carolyn is the one person I can truly call my best friend, and know that she will never walk out of my life no matter what we go through. This past year she has been through a lot with her dad and I have been there for her no matter what. I always tell Carolyn she is my four leaf clover, hard to find, but lucky to have. One quote that Eleanor Roosevelt once stated was “Many people will walk in and out of your life; but only true friends leave footprints in your heart.” I love this saying because I believe you don’t know what a true friend is until you have one. My friends are like my family to me, because I am always with them. My mom sees it as; they are the siblings god forgot to give me. All it takes is to have one best friend and you will never look at things the same again. It’s worth giving everyone a shot, and in the end you will find that one person.