A Dream Come True

rohan - 02445, Massachusetts

During the past 15 years of my life, I have seen great things, met new people, and gained a lot of wisdom. All the great experiences that I enjoyed during my lifetime have been influenced by the two most important people in my life, my parents. My parents have done an amazing job raising me. They have given me all the happiness that I could possibly ask for. All the sacrifices that they have made to provide me with a good life have pushed me to work harder in school, so that I can grow up, get a quality job, and make them feel proud to have raised such a great son. My dream for a long time has been to make a lot of money, and take care of my parents the same way they take care of me now. Having parents stay in their son’s house when they retire is a part of my Hindu culture that I have decided to embrace, and am determined to follow.

In the Hindu culture, couples that plan to have a kid, hope that to have a boy, so that he will take care of them in the future. There is nothing wrong with having a daughter, but they separate early and have to live with their husbands for their whole life. My grandfather on my dad’s side, raised two sons and two daughters. He lived with his older son, retired and happy. My father was unable to immediately take care of my grandfather because he moved to America right after his marriage. However, he wanted to follow his culture, and fulfill his duty as a son, so he invited my grandfather to live with us in Brookline for about 6 months. It was the year 2000 and I was 8 years old when he came to live with us. I had a close bond with my grandfather, and wanted him to enjoy all the pleasures of Brookline. From the day he arrived at my house, I would spend most of my time doing whatever he wanted.

My grandfather’s old age did not prevent him from exercising, as he loved going on walks every moment he had. He did not know how to speak English nor how to get anywhere in Brookline, so I would take his hand and walk him around the town. On any typical day, I would be playing outside all day with my friends; however, with my grandfather there, I dedicated most of my time towards making his stay in America memorable. My goal was to create a positive impression of living with us in America, so that he would come again. After taking a 2-hour walk in the park, we would walk back home and watch tv together. I cherished every little moment we spent together, and will always remember them.

Our same routine of long walks and watching tv, continued for 6 months, until it my grandfather had to go back to India. As we said bye to each other, I felt closer to him than ever. I realized that spending time and taking care of my grandfather had helped me fulfill a part of my culture. I took care of my grandfather like he was my father , and dedicated most of my time towards his leisure. My dream of embracing my culture, and taking care of my parents in the future had partially come true. My Hindu culture controlled my actions throughout the six months that my grandfather stayed here. I had unknowingly taken care of him, like my parents take care of me now. I now feel fully prepared make my dream come true. I had passed the quiz, but the real test is soon to come.