Sarah - Salisbury, North Carolina

Let’s assume for the next few minutes that there is a holy, living, eternal God alive and working at this time. Let’s acknowledge the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the present, past, and future as a genuine deity. Let’s surrender for just this moment to the beliefs of millions of people over hundreds of years and to the words that have been printed and spoken of more than any others and just ponder.

What if somehow it were all true- about the Jesus man who lived simply, spoke unaffectedly, practiced what he preached, and died virtuously? What if you believed that to be truth? What if miracles really could happen and you could live a better life entrusted to a person who lived, died, and lived again?

And what if you did entrust your life to him- and suddenly you experienced love for the first time? And not only love, but peace, and perhaps joy. Contentment, even. What if life had meaning? What if things you once found impossible became possible? What if you didn’t have to be in charge of such a large and losable thing like your destiny and things came together in a way you couldn’t have imagined? When God becomes the reality, your pointless dilemmas start to lose their reality. Sure, problems arise, things happen, but now you’re not alone. What if you were a part of something bigger, something mad, something immeasurable and breathtaking?

That is- assuming, after all, that this deity is real, that this man wasn’t just a man, that holiness isn’t unattainable.

I don’t know, it sounds pretty good to me. Maybe, it is just me who doesn’t like being in charge of my own fate- me and the millions of others throughout history.

Well, this I believe. I believe the stories about Jesus. I believe that there’s a holy deity who loved me, created me, planned for me, died for me, and watches out for me. I believe that how I came to be in the place I am wasn’t a lucky coincidence. I believe that all of the wonderful once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that saved my life weren’t just rolls of the dice.

I know I’m alive for a reason- and that’s comforting. Now I can’t imagine living on nothing but fraying hope and sparse dreams, looking out for number one because no one else is.

Yeah, I’ve got problems. But I’ve got someone to help me face them. Yeah, I have a bad past. But I’ve got someone to help me move on. Yeah, I don’t know what the future holds. But I know someone who does.

Perhaps it’s nonsense to some- but this is what I believe, and I’m done living for someone else’s approval. I’ve got something to live for- I’ve got reliability and strength. And I’m done looking back on a broken society.

Bring it on, cause I got the man upstairs watching out for me. That’s what I believe.