Alex - Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem

I Believe Essay

I believe that you should live everyday likes it’s your last.It is a great way to make everyday not boring. I try to never regret not doing something because I passed up the opportunity for something else.

My belief can really apply to many situations in every person’s life, including mine. Many times when I decide to do something, I don’t even think about why I am doing it because the belief is rooted inside of me. A day I had a couple of summers ago, was really when I discovered this belief.

I woke up in mid-July, not really having done much this far into the summer. I was bored and wanted something to do. A new store had opened near my dad’s house, and I had always been somewhat curious as to what the store was like. My belief is rooted in situations just like this one. Moments when I was faced with a decision to do, or not do something. I decided that I might not be able to go into it for the rest of the year, so I decided to explore the store because of the curiosity I had for it. Although the store was nothing that I had hoped it to be, the fact that I got up and went to the store is exactly what my belief means to me. That day might have been the last day I was able to see it, so instead of not doing anything, I experienced the store.

When I returned from the store, I found out that there was going to be large surf in the afternoon because of an offshore storm. I spend my summers in southern California near the beach, so it was interesting for me to see surf which was much bigger than it normally is. The only problem was the storm was said to create strong winds and it was not great bike riding conditions. Waves had not been that big when I had been there previously, so I figured this might be the last time I would be able to see something like that. That situation really challenged my belief. I thought that seeing the waves wasn’t going to be worth it, but at the same time I really didn’t want to have that mind set. I decided to go in the end, mostly because I figured it would be the only time I would be able to do something like that. Plus, whatever else I wanted to do could probably be done again. To this day I am still happy I saw the surf.

The belief still plays a part of every day for me. I am always thinking I should try something new, or see something. Most times I can’t actually act on these thoughts because of time commitments such as school, but the belief still makes me think about different options of what to do.