Nicole - Willow Springs, Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe that all people should be able to express themselves for who they are not who they want to be. This is the lesson I learned a while ago when I began freshman year, in high school.

I always wanted to be someone I wasn’t because I always thought that the other person was better. A girl I always used to look up to was a perfect person, and that is who I wanted to be, exactly the person she was. I wanted to do everything she did so everyone would like me for the “coolness” in me. I wore clothes like her and acted like her, but in a way so no one would notice. But later on I noticed that trying to be that girl only made me less “cool” and that maybe being who I really was would make people think I was interesting.

I come from a European family and our way of life is as different than the American life as it can get. Trying to be a more “Americanized person” only got me more depressed because I knew that I would not be the same exact way as all the other girls were. I don’t think that trying to be someone else is a good thing; in fact I think it puts more pressure on you to be the perfect person. That kind of feeling put me down. Now that I am a sophomore in high school that is happy with whom she is. I feel like my friends love me for my weirdness, coolness, and friendliness, not for being something I’m not.

It is a cliché to say that never be something your not, but I think you have to go through it the hard way and that is the only way you will truly understand the meaning of that phrase. I used to see, still see today the people that are trying to hard to be the type of people society wants them to be. Maybe for kids like us it’s more of the thought of our peers that make us people we want to be. Sometimes I think others try to be something they don’t want to be but have to be because their friends expect them to be that way. I think that they will start to understand when the idea of being a “fake” person steps in.

I am happy that I am just trying to be myself because I know my friends love me for the Nikol I am and not the Angelina Jolie or the Susie-Q I want to be. I am happy that I changed myself to fit my personality more and I think that people can see I’m not trying to be anyone else. I think every one will come to that point in their lives where we all understand our TRUE selves.