I Believe to Hit

justin - penryn, California

From the cold rainy winter days of January to the hot days of April there is one thing that rules my life. It’s not football but something better. A sport were the teams are friends and rivals, the players are skilled and can hit hard, and it is the beginning sport of football. The one thing I truly believe in is Rugby.

I discovered rugby a long time ago, before i can even remember because my mom comes from Africa and her brothers played it. So i have always wanted to play rugby but coundn’t because their were no clubs to join around the area. that all changed when Tom, a friend of my family, who had played in college made a club at Del Oro. Ever since then the second term on tuesdays and thursday my life is rugby.

Not everyone can play rugby; it’s hard to go out there for 60 mins. and take hits from the big fast prop. Props are like linemen. The thing about rugby is that everyone on the field can run, pass, and catch the ball. So that means everyone on the field are skilled athletes and most of them play other sports. Play also never stops except for a penatly and halftime. Plus you are not allowed to block anybody so it is full on running at each other.

Rugby is called the gentlemen sport. Most people would not believe this but it is tradition that after the game the two teams meet and shake hands and go out for dinner and drink. That is the best part that the teams are rivals then friends after. No other sport that i know of does that.

Plus, it is the sport that football was created from and soccer is mixed in with it. When you watch the game the game you can see the mix. the football part is the ball, how the field is set up, and tackling. the soccer part is how play never stops, and you can always pass the ball, as long as it’s backwards, and you can kick the ball anytime on the field.

those are the reasons why i believe in the game of rugby. EVeryone has to be skilled ahnd have to be able to play every postion. That after the game you are friends.