Never Take Anything For Granted

Andrew - Loomis, California
Themes: family, gratitude

When was the last time you lost a loved one in your life? I believe that no one not even the wealthiest people that live today should take anything for granted. The people you love come and go and at no point will I ever take what I have for granted after the day it really hit me.

Growing up as a young boy I was always taught to put your family above anything in the world. That’s what I did and I will love my family more than anyone until the day I die. I even have the strongest bonds with my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, my sister, and parents. That could never change no matter what happens. I loved my grandparents so much that I would be at there house more than I would be at my own growing up. My grandma and grandpa were my best friends.

My grandpa, who served time in the army and was the biggest gentlemen I know, taught me everything about how to be a man and respect others. Their house was my second house. I started to take these things for granted that I had such an incredible family and that everything was going so great with the relationships I had. I started to just think that’s how everyone else has it but really no one had the kind of relationship I have with these people.

It wasn’t until one day I got a voicemail from my mother one afternoon saying,” Andrew call me back. Don’t be worried or anything but something has come up.” So I called her back panicking saying what’s wrong and she told me the news. “Your grandma found your grandpa face down in the garden this afternoon, he had a stroke.” I rushed to the hospital right after I talked to my mom shaking the whole way there in fear.

My grandpa was pretty messed up when I got there. After over a month of me and my whole family being at the hospital daily, and my amazing grandma spending the night every night, he was starting to do better. I had a sense of hope in my mind hoping that he would push through because my grandpa was never the type to give up when the hard times came at him. Then one day I got a call saying he was doing badly again and they made that final decision that they were going to let him go. One of my best friends was gone and I there was nothing left I could say to him accept I love you big guy when I placed his casket at the cemetery at his funeral. This is the day I never took anything or anyone for granted ever again.

Nothing worse can ever happen to a person than losing that one person that you look up to more than anyone in this world. That person was my grandpa. He was the most amazing individual I have ever known. He could bring me up even at the points I was down the most. He could bring a smile to anyone’s face I knew. I believe that no one in this earth should ever take your life or the ones you love lives for granted. Even if you hate your life don’t take for granted that there is someone out there that has your back because you never know when that day is going to come that they will not be here.