Brisa - Missoula, Montana
Themes: carpe diem

Sometimes we ask ourselves what will happen to us in the future. For this question, we can never give an exact answer. Some people believe that destiny is going to choose our lives; other people have the fortune to believe that with effort they can do everything they want, every kind of dream.

When I was a child I organized my life: husband, how many children I would like to have, what would be my job and where I would live.

On the morning of the 12th of July 2000, however, I had to realize that we can never decide our lives, but only to act in function of it. Unlike people who in providence and live his lives in a passive way(they don’t do anything because they leave their live in God’s hands), I live in an active way. But, for me, God isn’t the one who makes our predestination but it is people around us. Also ,and maybe especially , people that we don’t even know.

The 12th of June 2000 is a date I will never forget, because it was the reason that I had to move to another country, to communicate with another language, to stay with different people, to live with another type of reality, to know a new me.

That morning there wasn’t the certainty of having a mother near to protect us, there wasn’t a God saving us. That morning there was only un in a car, people outside, guns, cruel intention and noise. Noise of silence in my head. Everything that happened after was the few things that our minds were able to plan at the moment: let it be in the way that they want.

The succeeding 48 days I don’t know what I did, who I was and if I was still a person.

My parents sent me to my grandmother’s house, that is a two hours drive from the city where I lived.

My parents wanted to take me away from them afraid. They didn’t want me to know what was happening.

It is in this situation that we must to realize how our lives are insignificant in specific moments of our existence. We can do nothing to help another people , only to be sympathetic with them.

I believe that life can be comparable with a video game. We are the game’s protagonist, we do adventures, we combat against enemies, and we can win missions. But , in front of the television’s screen, there will always be somebody who has in his hands the joystick of our life’s game and will be him that will decide when we can win or when we can lose, but he also may set the joystick on the floor and go to do another thing, far of our life’s game.

I believe that, till we can decide about our lives, we have to feel satisfied about our day before going to bed each night, because we don’t know what can happen tomorrow. Only in the present can man intervene and only in the present, therefore, must he concentrate his acts. He must always try to take the opportunities, the chances, the joys which introduce themselves today, without any conditioning derived from hypothetical hopes or anxious dreads for the future: carpe diem , quam minimum credula postero.