Taylor - Auburn, California

Nothing is ever as bad as it seems

I believe that any experience is never as bad as you imagine it. Currently, I am a high school senior preparing for college. Many of my experiences have shown what I believe to be true. Among these is an experience everyone must go through, high school.

As I stepped onto school campus for the first time as a freshman, it was obvious that none of my past experiences could guide me in this unfamiliar world. During the period many people say is “the best years of their life,” I was confused, scared, and dumbfounded as I wandered from class to class. How would I create new friendships when everyone around me had been childhood friends to one another? After more than three years, I can say that I have integrated into my surroundings, and have gained friends who will be irreplaceable after high school. The key, I realized, is to be yourself and to find people willing to accept you as you are. Feelings of being an outcast have now been replaced with a person identified by friends, personality, and skill.

Another experience that reinforced what I believed recently occurred over the summer, when I attended a workshop at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo for high school students interested in architecture. I did have my share of uncertainties, especially when I thought of having to make new friends (again), knowing nothing of my surroundings, and having a stranger as a roommate. After applying and being accepted, the first day slowly came around. I remember having feelings of being afraid, alone, and in disbelief that this foreign place would be my temporary home. In the beginning, I primarily focused on class work, smiling at everyone, and just being polite. After the first few days, however, time seemed to fly by. During the last few days of the workshop, I realize how foolish my first impression had been about the workshop. I had made new friends, and can wait to return next fall.

A different experience I underwent was a job as an intern at an architectural firm. I knew this experience would benefit me for the rest of my life and provide me insight on my future career. This experience was different, however, because I was no longer surrounded by my peers. On top of being a student, I would have a boss and would constantly have to prove myself. I can say now that I am glad I am able to partake in this experience. Working with different generations is turning out to be a positive experience and proving to me that even if someone is your boss, they can also be a friendly face.

Looking back on these experiences, I am glad I decided to follow through with all of them. They have allowed me to grow and have taught me much of who I am. As I walk toward the future, I know any experience I have will be like nothing I had imagined. This I believe.