Travis - Missoula, Montana
Themes: prejudice

“This I Believe”

I believe that people are blind to the pain they cause when they use prejudice and hate crimes, like most people are blind to the small stitching on the underside of fabrics. When I was about ten years old, I was in a small family-oriented grocery store in Spokane, Washington, looking to get a cool refreshing drink. Instead what I found were two African American men getting stabbed emotionally in the heart by a four year old. The small child was with his mother when he happened to point at the two men and said loudly “look mommy, monkeys are shopping too!”

The men looked as if they were about to fall and cry. The mother of the boy did not say a word to the men or her little boy; she just continued to shop, as the two men walked away, hurt and angry. I stared in shock. As a small boy myself, my parents would never have permitted me to say such hurtful thing without being severely reprimanded.

I believe that we need to unite as a people as one and let colors mean nothing to us. Even though that was years ago the world hasn’t changed as much as we hoped, it’s still full of people that discriminate others because of race, color, ideas, or religion. It is never just as it seems, every person uses it, but some catch it and try to stop it. It is not possible to end all hate crimes in this world that we live in, but there is a chance we can severely reduce it.

So this is what I ask of you my brothers and sisters, unite as one and think about what your about to say to the people or person around you. With everyone working towards a common goal, we can fight this thing they call hate.

It was then in a small grocery store, that I realized that people are blind to such things as the under stitching of fabric is to the overlooking eye. This I believe.