Rachel - Rocklin, California
Themes: change, place

“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanently, in the ideas of living,” says Miriam Beard. To me, traveling is more than just a destination. It is the unlocking of history and the opening of another world. Traveling has challenged my world of houses, streets, and cars to oceans, lakes, rivers, mountains and trees. Not only did traveling let me see where events from history took place, but gave me the experiences of different culture and lifestyles. My travels will always be there for me to look back and remember and know I am part of something bigger.

I believe traveling makes me appreciate life and all it has to offer. Ever since I was little I have enjoyed going on my families’ mini vacation trips. We spent summers camping at the nearest hour and a half away campgrounds or a fourty-five minute drive up to the mountains. Nature is so vast and I feel a sense of wonder at the beauty of the world. I then realized the joy to travel to different places and I wanted to travel to as many places as I could.

As I grew older my parents took my family to Boston every other summer. We toured the great American history by wakling in the same places Samuel Adams stirred up a crowd, went to a reenactment of colonists dumping British tea into a river and even went to where Paul Revere saw two lanterns hanging in the Old North Church and started his famous “midnight ride.” I feel the sacrifices and bravery of these few colonists helped pave the way for freedom for millions that came after. Going to these places allowed me to be grateful for the past which is why we are here today.

Last year was the beginning of a new world of traveling for me. My friend told me about the opportunity to go to another country with a teacher from school. I jumped on the chance that I could have more experiences and see life in another country. Traveling to Paris and Italy, two non speaking English countries allowed me to see the culture outside of what I knew.

With these new experiences I have grown to love traveling. I have an understanding of how the past took place, and the lives of people differ from each other today. I can take what I learn and know the world has more to offer then everyday experiences in my neighborhood.