Amanda - Rocklin, California

I believe in the power and values of family love. I believe everyone should live a life filled with laughter and love with those important to you.

I feel it is very important to truly enjoy every moment life has given you. I have several family members that have survived or battled cancer. The experience of something like that happening to my loved ones has taught me to live every day like it is my last. I also had a tumor when I was eight years old; as a result I lost several nerves in my leg.

My family supported me every step of the way in dealing with my surgeries and doctor visits. When your 8 you don’t realize how important your family is to all aspects of your life. In turn I have been able to support my family when enduring hard times because of the valuable life lesson I was taught.

Rather than looking on these events in my life as a tragedy I chose to look past them. I realized that the more I smiled and enjoyed my life, the more my attitude and those around me improved. Laughter and smiles, in my opinion, are contagious. A quote I attempt to live my life by relates to the necessity of happiness and love. “Every moment spent angry or upset is a moment of happiness that you can never get back.”

I am very lucky to have a supportive and loving family that has always taught me to look beyond the negative. My mother has impressed upon me the importance of always finding the best in people and accepting their flaws.

I have also learned that personal growth comes with a good attitude and support from those surrounding my life. Although I still have many years and life lessons ahead of me, I have grown tremendously with the strength of my loving family. I tackled many obstacles in the younger years of my life; because of this I feel I have become a stronger person.

Above all I have learned to look for joy in every moment of my life. I truly believe the statement, “It’s not about how many breaths you take but how many moments take your breath away.” To me life is something that should be lived moment by moment and to never have any regrets.

I believe that despite whatever problem the world may throw at you, it can be overcome through the support of a loving family. This I believe.