Josh - Loomis, California

I believe that the journey is what makes a person great and that in order to achieve greatness a person should always work hard to get it.

Ever since I was in 4th grade my goal in life was to be an Olympic gymnast. My father used to own a gym in Reno and that is where I first had this dream. Since my dad owned the gym I could be in it as much as I wanted and train as much as I wanted. I was young and I knew that the road to becoming an Olympian was long and filled with many bumps, but I wasn’t going to let that slow me down.

Most kids at that age just wanted to play but not me. I was in the gym almost eight hours a day and training as hard as I could. I knew that that is what it takes to be a champion. I knew that even if I was sick I had to be in the gym because there were other people out there who wanted it as well. You can’t slack at all in life and still expect to be great.

I would win most of the competitions I went to just because I trained harder than anyone else. I was also state champion three years in a row. I believe that not only did this intense form of training make me a better gymnast but a better person as well. I started to do better in school and I was always happy because I felt good about myself, and I believe that the best people to be around are the people who are always happy, because they make other people feel good.

When I was in 7th grade I was sent to live with my mother in California because of some complications with my step mom. I was unable to continue my gymnastics career and I was devastated. However, in its stead I took up the sport of football which I discovered I excelled in. I believe this came from all of my hard work as a gymnast.

I still have the goal of being an Olympian it just got delayed a little bit. I really believe that with lots of hard work and the fight attitude it’s still a very real possibility. Even if I don’t obtain my goal of becoming an Olympic gymnast I truly believe that the journey to becoming one is what will make me a great person.

I have met many great people and not all of them have accomplished what they have set out to do but it doesn’t seem to bother them much. They still are extremely happy and successful people. I’m pretty sure it comes from all the hard work they put into reaching for a goal. This I believe.