This I Believe: A Purpose for Everything

Kelsi - Auburn, California

I believe that there is a reason for everything that happens. We may not know at the moment why it is happening, but later on we discover the purpose for it in our lives.

When I was a junior at Forest Lake Christian School, we had two new seniors. One of them, Brandy Freeland, happened to be my best friend; the other person was a guy I had never met before. His name was Lance Camacho.

Lance didn’t know anyone at our school, and our school tended to be kind of clickish. There were lots of groups, and it was hard to fit in. He spent a lot of the first few weeks by himself. I know, because I watched him.

I’m not saying that I stalked him or anything, but he intrigued me. I also felt a little sorry for him. I’d watch him in the morning, standing in the hallway, waiting for the bell to ring. He always looked down at the floor, his hands in his pockets, shuffling his feet a little. He never seemed to smile.

I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to talk to him, but I felt weird about it, self-conscious almost. So I just watched him from afar. At lunch he would sit in the Spanish classroom and do his homework. Again, as I passed the door I felt bad for him, but not bad enough to sit with him or invite him to eat with my friend and me.

A couple of months went by, and I gained the courage to talk to him. Time went on, and we started eating lunch together as a group. It turned out that he was a really cool person to be around. He was funny, made people laugh, and just liked to have fun. He really was a great guy. By the time the school year ended, he had made a ton of friends.

It made me feel really proud of him. I’m sure that when he started school, he must have hated it. He must have felt alone, felt that he didn’t belong, felt like he had no friends, and yet look at where he is now. Now he has some really great friends, and some awesome memories to take away with him from his senior year of high school.

I guess it just blows me away at how God worked it all out. How God turned a hard situation into something wonderful. Lance didn’t know at the time that when he was starting a brand new school, he would walk away with so many friends. But God knew, and God had it all planned out. It seems kind of ironic because now I’m a senior and I walked into Del Oro High School not knowing anyone. I admit it hasn’t been easy all the time, but I know that God has a plan for it all. And that is what I believe. That God has a plan for everything and through everything.