Casey - Missoula, Montana

I believe you should work to please yourself, and not everyone around you.

Growing up i was always under the peering eyes of my elder siblings. Having two sets of parents, four sets of grandparents, 6 siblings, and countless aunts and uncles the pressures were immense.

Never being like any of the other kids, not being good at sports, being the outcast of the family, and never really doing things right can wear a young child down. Eventually i was forced into doing things like T-ball, which i hated but kept doing because my mom was ‘oh so pleased.’ Basketball, my father couldn’t have been happier. Soccer, volleyball, and track later on along with student council, key club, yearbook, and multiple art clubs, it was just never enough.

Around my sophomore year in High School I realized all the things I did that made everyone happy, were not what i wanted to do, at all. I wanted to have a life outside of school, one that involved going out and doing things on my own. Not the scheduled lifestyle to which i had become accustomed.

Inevitably I quit all the things i didnt want to anymore, which also caused quite the turmoil at home.

Now I realize you cant do everything every one else wants you to do. Well you can, but you would not be happy. Do what makes you happy, do it for you, not for everyone else. You make your life what you want it to be. No one else can make your choices for you.