Tiffany - Wesley Chapel, Florida

This I believe.

I have many beliefs, I will talk about one that is predominant in my life. I believe in a benevolent and just God that I can personally have a relationship with. I also believe that this God is not one who forces us to love Him or obey Him. He allows us the free will to choose to do right or wrong according to His standard. I believe in heaven and in hell and the only way to get there is but trusting in Jesus Christ and His sacrificial work on the cross. I believe that salvation is a gift, something I cannot merit on my own. I believe that the ability to trust Him is God-given in itself as many don’t come to that decision easily, no one naturally enjoys admitting they are wrong or lacking in any given area. I do good not because I have to but because I want to and because I have been liberated of sin and forgiven. I do good out of love and gratitude, not force. This is not to say I do not sin but that I can live in a way that honors God and counts for eternity for His glory and not my own. I am amazed by the mysteries of God. Many things science cannot explain I give thanks for because it shows me what an intricate God I serve. I do not want to come across as saying that ignorance is something to be encouraged. I feel that the more I learn the more I realize there is to learn. I am thankful that God cannot fit into my head because then He is no bigger than I and I know I am not all-knowing.

Growing up in a wonderful loving home I know my family has always meant so much to me even if I didn’t always show it. My parents would always take my brother and I to church and teach right from wrong according to the Bible. They set a pretty good example, not perfect but usually honest. I feel very fortunate and don’t take it lightly. I however doubted many times the “faith” they proclaimed to me. I worked it out and came to the decision on my own with much intervention by the God Himself through much study of His Word.

I believe that I have purpose here on this earth and on that note that all mankind does also, to glorify God, which we cannot accomplish by our own attempts of doing good. I don’t think we are here by chance or haphazard. I believe that everything, whether it is a bumblebee or a beautiful sunset, a music note or a street beggar is here so that God may be glorified.

I know I am still young and I will not even begin to admit that I have everything figured out. I am in awe at the mysteries of God. Many times I have asked myself how a truly loving can allow things to happen that we see as less benevolent. How can I judge when I don’t see the big picture? When I was young I didn’t understand why my dad punished me for crossing the street on my own. Wasn’t that out of love, even if I didn’t understand? I have also asked myself why a Holy God would love an unrighteous sinner such as myself and forgive me for wrong I have done. He gives me the ability to love the unlovely or to forgive the unforgivable when I take into account what has been forgiven me. I am amazed at the power that stands behind the name of Jesus Christ. More people are offended by that name than any other. I don’t get the same reaction when I mention Buddha or Zeus. There’s power. That name makes a direct attack on our pride and self-sufficiency to be good on our own. It doesn’t surprise me; Christ said that His claims would divide. Yet He also gives the amazing opportunity for us to be able to reunite and communicate with our Creator because He voluntarily separated Himself from the Father for our sake.

I think life is a continuous classroom. People we meet, books we read, things we see affect our future in ways we cannot fathom. I cannot explain everything. I would drive myself crazy trying to make everything factual because maybe it’s just not. There are mysteries, things we cannot understand so we will turn to trust the One who does understand them. I know my statements are bold. These are the beliefs I hold dear to my heart. I have lived them. I am living them. I have hope, I have hope is something more solid than myself. I don’t ever want to be afraid to ask the hard questions about things and I look forward to learning and working out these things in my heart throughout my life. I know this was long, thank you for reading. This I believe.