Zack - Bonney Lake, Washington
Themes: sports

After playing soccer for 11 years, I believe that working as a team is better as an individual. Everything you do in the world including most of the sports, you have to work with other people and/or groups to get things done. You really don’t get anywhere if you work by yourself unless it requires you to do the job by yourself.

When I first started playing soccer when I was 8 years-old, pretty much everything that you did as you played was an individual thing. Getting the ball and dribbling up the field towards the goal and hope to score was something you do by yourself or even just kicking the ball up the field and hoping it will go towards and in the goal. Now when I play, I rely on my team mates to help me and I help them to get the ball down the field and into the goal. No team would ever win a game with each person playing as an individual. I wouldn’t be able to do what I used to do when I was younger, take the ball and dribble it and hope to score.

Whenever I step out onto the soccer field, I just pray that my team is all going to work together to win the game. That’s all I ever hope for every single time. There are times that some of them don’t want to work as a team to get the job done, but some of the others and I always find a way to tell them about it. If those certain people don’t want to help, the coach is just going to bench them for the whole game until they decide they want to help. At any time when someone doesn’t feel like helping, all we do just tell them to get the heck off the soccer field, saying that we don’t need them and then sometimes they change their mind and want to help. They don’t want to sit and watch. They want to play, as a team. I hate seeing my team mates sit because they don’t to help but then I don’t mind it because there are always the others to rely on to help get the job done.

Working as a team when playing soccer, it shows up in all the other things that you do that requires you to work with other people. I get to know people better and trust them that they will help you with whatever. I have to know what the others are thinking a head of time so I know what to do and how to prepare for it, like receiving the ball for a pass or a cross to score a goal.

I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have others help me with things, mostly in playing sports. I would probably go crazy because I could always use the help, with whatever it is, like fixing a car or building something, but most of all playing soccer.