Taylor - Natick, Massachusetts

Fifteen years of life have brought me time and time again, closer to honesty. It’s something that I encounter daily and I have come to find that it is important rule of thumb in maneuvering through situations with as much ease as possible. Even when I was younger and took the last cookie from the package and was honest about it, I found another cookie in the near future. Though my honesty hasn’t always been rewarded with a treat as tempting as a cookie, I’ve found new rewards and benefits that honesty reveals in my life. As a result of one of the single most important confrontations of my life, I have grown to adapt honesty as one of my core beliefs and I apply it as much as possible to everything I do.

I have been taking dance classes at Impulse Dance Studio in Natick since I was in second grade. I started all because of my close friend, and at the time, we were almost inseparable. Both of us found a strong passion in dance and we enjoyed spending time together doing something that we both loved.

Soon enough, things changed and my parents started taking me to Brookline schools. It was extremely hard on me because I was leaving all of the people I grew up with at school, and starting over in Brookline. When I look back though, I realize this change was almost as hard as it was on me, as it was on my friend. Luckily, the two of us continued to dance together and our friendship still remained strong.

As eighth grade came to a close, my parents gave me the opportunity to choose to go to high school in either Brookline or Natick. I immediately knew where I wanted to go, but I couldn’t bear to tell my friend. I knew that throughout the four years that I was attending Brookline schools, my friend kept a burning hope inside of her that we would be reunited and attend Natick High together. Besides that, her birthday was coming up, and I wanted to enjoy one last party together before our separation became etched in stone. Even though I knew it was inevitable that she would find out, I couldn’t bear to tell her. A few weeks later, at dance class, a friend of mine asked me what sport I was considering playing in high school. Without even thinking, I told her I looked forward to running track at Brookline High the next year. I could hear someone behind me quickly gasp for air and let long hot tears flow free. I realized what I had done and sprinted out of the room after the fading footsteps of my close friend.

From this experience, I truly learned the importance of being upfront and honest. There are hundreds of better ways that I could have broken my friend’s heart in a way that cushioned her fall and made both of us feel better about the future. Never again will I make this mistake, and I will choose to be open, sincere, and straightforward in emotionally invested situations in the future.