I Believe In The Big Picture

Katie - Cottage Grove, Wisconsin

I believe in the Big Picture. I believe that each decision we have made, are making, or will make, no matter the magnitude, has already been decided. I believe that our lives have been previously planned and each day we live, we get closer and closer to realizing our full potential.

Many people, I am aware, disagree with my belief and like to believe that they can change their lives whenever they please. My belief, however, is not contradicting this thought. My belief is that people are born with a certain amount of motivation, work ethic, and optimism. It is (but not limited to) these aspects of our personality that set the path for our lives, with every experience designed and planned, awaiting us to live it.

Nobody’s life is perfect and bad and unexplainable events occur all the time. In fact, it was a horrible event that happened in my life that prompted me to believe in the Big Picture. A member of my family—a very young member—was in a bad accident and did not live through it. This was a very hard time in my life and the lives of everyone close to me. With the help of my mother, however, we got through the event and began to accept what happened. It was at this point that “everything happens for a reason” became a phrase I heard a lot; I began to believe it too. But I did not decide to believe it because of facts or proof; I wanted to believe it because it made my life easier. Believing there was a reason for what happened—a Big Picture—made accepting and moving on easier for my family and me (moving on but never forgetting, of course).

I feel as though this belief is hard for some to grasp. So many people believe that they are in control of their own destiny and every decision they make adds to a web of potential paths they could take. But if you think for a second, couldn’t the path you choose have already been set? Even though you are making the decision now, couldn’t it already have been previously calculated into the Big Picture? This theory, to me, is what is attractive about the Big Picture. Believing that every decision is already made and you just need to wait for the answer to come to you so your life can continue. Knowing that every good thing that has happened in your life was a result of hundreds of decisions you made in the past; and chances are, not all of the immediate results were ideal.

Although my family member passing away was hard, I eventually accepted it and now I just want to believe that it did not happen in vain. I believe that there is a reason and I will find out what that is someday, but at this point in my life I need to focus on the here and now and let the big picture develop.