Jessie - Palm Bay, Florida
Themes: carpe diem, work

I believe in giving my all. The world is spinning so fast these days – I wake up earlier, go to bed later and fill in the time in between with as much activity as I can possibly squeeze in. Companies ask more from employees, children have a million extracurricular activities to choose from and vacation days are spent answering emails. After 4 years of college and plenty more ahead of me, I have become the queen of multi-tasking. I can cook dinner, study for a test, talk on the phone and entertain Fido…all at the same time. But during these multi-tasking sessions, I realized that each task is only getting a piece of me and I wondered whether that was enough.

So I’ve learned that by slowing down, I can really take in what’s around me. I spent 3 years in college volunteering at preschools. There were some weeks when I would be interacting with the kids but find my mind wandering to my assignments for the week, my work schedule, my friend’s problems or whatever else was on my plate. I found that at the end of these meetings, I had taken nothing away from my interactions and wondered if maybe my good intentions of helping were falling short. After all, if I couldn’t recall details of the day’s activities, how could I have been entertaining enough to have an impact on a 4-year-old? After a few of these wanderings, I realized that if I just stopped and focused on one thing, the child I was working with, I could truly make a difference both in his life and in mine.

Don’t get me wrong, there are still times when it is an absolute necessity to be doing 3 things at once, just to get them done (thanks again to the incredible pace our world moves at!) However, the really important things, the things that really impact someone else’s life or the world in general – more than making a paperwork deadline or cramming for a test – those are the things I should focus on alone. I give my all – mind, body, and soul – to each situation that could change a life. I live in that moment and with that task or person alone. I believe in giving my all.