The Valued Gift Of Friendship

Ashleigh - Bonney lake, Washington

My life got turned upside down when I started Junior High. The idea of multiple classes, lunches in the cafeteria, different teachers and meeting an extraordinary amount of new people overwhelmed me. I was embarking upon a new adventure in my life, one where I was no longer protected, seeing what I wanted to see. My world of rainbows, bunnies and sunny skies was quickly being replaced by war, violence, rumors and drugs.

I probably would have turned around right then and ran back to that bubble of security if my best friend hadn’t been standing right beside me.

I believe friendship should be valued. That the people who influence my life the most should receive respect and courtesy from me in return for their kindness and loyalty. I rely on my friends to help me through tough situations and lend advice when I am in need. Not only do my friends cheer me up when I am down, they believe in me when I doubt myself.

I treasure my friendships. I would never dream of ruining that incredible bond I share with each individual person. Nothing could make me turn against a friend and stab them in the back. My friends know this, which is one of the main reasons why they trust me more than some of their other friends. If I mistakenly made a friend mad at me, I immediately tried to fix the problem, because losing a friend would shatter my world.

To show my friends how much I value them, I try to be the ultimate friend towards them. I lend an ear when they need someone to listen to their complaining and I am always the first to volunteer to bail them out in sticky situations. They are like my other half, I feel pain when they hurt and cry with them when their tears roll down their cheeks. I believe I should treat them the way I want them to treat me. If I cherish our relationship, they will return the favor by doing the same thing.

In Elementary school, I didn’t necessarily take my friends for granted, but I did not value their existence in my life. At the time, they were just people that I associated with and talked to when I was bored. After seeing how reliable my friends were to me when I faced my first real obstacle in life, I began to realize that I had to change how I viewed my friends. No longer did I see them as people, but as hero’s; my guardian angels watching over me.