Words of Wisdom

Aurora - Bonney Lake, Washington

For several years, my mom has been telling me the same thing all through my life, and

it has become one of my strong beliefs and mottos. I believe that people are going to

treat you the way that you let them treat you. It took me about ten years to realize how

true this statement is, it also took several personal experiences to realize that my mom

was right.

When I was about six or seven, I had two friends who went to school with me. The

three of us also rode the bus to daycare after school. Their names were Julie and Alicia,

and they despised each other! Julie was a sweet girl who was polite to everyone, but like

me, she was too afraid of Alicia to be anything but nice to her. Alicia was a masculine,

tough girl, and she refused to share me with Julie. Every day at daycare, Alicia would

forbid me to play with Julie; she used to say “you’re going to play with ME today!’ Of

course, I was too scared to tell her otherwise, due to her bully-like attitude. When my

mom came to pick me up every day, I told her about Alicia, and how she wouldn’t let me

go near Julie. That was the first time she told me, ‘Aurora, people will treat you the way

you let them treat you! Stand up for yourself! Do not let her push you around.’

Unfortunately, I was too afraid of Alicia to stand up to her, so I remained under her

power until my parents and I moved a few months later.

I was reminded again of my mom’s words of wisdom when I was twelve, and yet again,

the subject came up with another friendship triangle problem. My best friend of five

years was extremely jealous when I made a new friend. She constantly asked me which

one of them I liked better, and she was furious if I spent time with the new girl instead of

her. I told my mom about the situation that was causing me so much grief, and once

again, she told me ‘people will treat you the way you let them treat you.’ But being the

stubborn child I was, I ignored her response, assuming she didn’t understand. The

problem escalated; my best friend constantly complained about how she didn’t know me

anymore, and how I ignored her whenever my new friend came around. But every time I

turned to my mom, she repeated her advice.

It wasn’t until I was fifteen that I decided I had let people walk all over me long

enough. I finally took my mom’s advice and stood up for myself. When my jealous

friend tried to make me feel bad for something ridiculous, I held my ground. I told her

that I was tired of the way she was treating me, and that if she kept it up she could forget

about our friendship. She realized the mistake in her actions, in time she apologized for

her behavior. It was then that I accepted my mom’s favorite phrase as my new personal

motto. People will treat you the way you let them treat you. By standing up for myself, I

have learned that I am my own person. Nobody wants to be talked down to, so by

sticking up for my feelings, I was able to mend my friendship. My best friend and I were

able to recreate a healthier relationship, and she slowly began to accept my new friend.

The three of us became best friends eventually, but it never would have happened if I had

remained silent.

Everyone has a voice and opinion of their own, nobody deserves to be treated like they

aren’t good enough. By telling people when they are being rude or inconsiderate towards

me, it enables me to develop a better relationship with them. Therefore, I strongly

believe that you determine the way people treat you. It’s up to you to set the standards