CHOICE IT’S WHAT MAKES A PERSON

Rachel - Bonney Lake/WA/98391, Washington

No, I don’t remember his name, and I don’t recall his face either, but the words he spoke to me rang true. He said “each day I wake up, I say to myself today I will live my life for God.” Now, I don’t have the strongest faith and the blanks and unanswered questions in The Bible bother me but this mans’ devotion and faith struck me in a way nothing else has and nothing else ever will. For in my life, everyday I now wake up, and I say to myself “Today I will live m life for my loved ones, for my friends and for the people whose lives I can enrich simply by being me. Today I have the choice to be who I want to be.”

I believe in choice. That by making the decision to say I can is one of the hardest things a person can do and also one of the strongest. In the seventh grade my friends and I made a choice that we would stay true to ourselves and not go against our morals. I have stayed true to that decision. Many of my friends have not. Watching them fall into cliques that smoked pot and dated older guys that took advantage of them, was one of the hardest things I have ever done. They made choices. Whether they were out of the hope of fitting in or sheer lack of self I don’t know. I do know however, that even though they were their decisions to make, they regret them now. I have nothing to regret. I remembered our choice and chose to not change. Their lives were dictated by others and by letting others control them they morphed into followers without depth. I choose to control my life. I make my own decisions. All that I can think of to better their situations is to tell them and show them by my example that if you make the choice to be yourself and do what makes you and your loved ones happy, then life will be good. I make my life what it is I can make anything better, anything amazing simply by choosing to make it so. For I choose everyday to make my life the very best I can. Knowing that I have the will power to live my life with optimism gives me a strong sense of pride and self, because I am who I want to be.

I listened to that speaker and I took his advice. Everyday I wake up I live my life being who I want to be. I am the scaler of all mountains; I am the undefeated; because I will it so. I am strong.